FITGirl, Inc. 12 Week Program with GoGirlGo! Award Winning Curriculum
As early as 10 years of age, girls begin to become more sedentary, their activity levels dropping as much as 83 percent as they transition through adolescense.
By age 14, only 1 in 10 girls are doing enough physical activity to benefit their health, compared with roughly twice the number of boys of the same age.
FITGirl, Inc partners with local colleges and univerities to deliver an engaging and impactful program every week! We feel female athletes make great role models for adolescent girls by promoting physical activity and involvement in sports, confidence, a strong work ethic, and emphasizing the importance of education.
The goals of the 12 week curriculum are for girls to:
- Become more physically active, working their way up to getting 60 minutes of exercise a day…and staying active for life!
- Develop and maintain self-respect, self-confidence, and a positive self-image.
- Understand the connection between mind and body.
- Internalize the message that there is no one “ideal” body type.
- Begin to understand the consequences of and explore alternatives to health-risk behaviors.
- Gain developmentally appropriate knowledge of nutrition and the health benefits of physical activity.
- Increase their motivation to participate in sports and other kinds of physical activity.
- Be able to respond positively to peer pressure.
- Accept and respect others.
- Build positive relationships with adult facilitators and the peers in the group.
- Build leadership skills and serve as role models for other girls to get physically active.
- Learn how to set goals and work towards achieving them.
The curriculum consists of 12 lessons, each of which features a story by a local athlete or a peer role model and accompanying physical activities, discussion questions, facilitator tips, and healthy snack ideas.
Meet athletes from Creighton, UNO and College of St Mary! Fun games, new friends, music, fitness, prizes and more!
LESSONS: Bullying, Nutrition, Body Image, Diversity, Teamwork, Kindness, Difficult Feelings, Self Care, Digital Media Smarts, Confidence! Different speakers every week – a new activity every week!
FITGirl is Fun! We want girls to see exercise as something fun to do, not dread. Our staff and volunteers are energetic, caring, enthusiastic and care passionately about making a difference!
The lessons focus on helping girls explore important issues in their lives, helping them to build a positive self-image and motivating them to develop an interest in participating in sports and other kinds of physical activity. The lessons also help girls discover how they interact with the world around them, and aims to empower them to affect change in their own lives and the lives of others in their communities.
Programs are held at our NEW Empowerment Center. Located off 156th & Maple (15505 Ruggles Street, Suite 108).
Included in $150 Registration fee ($12 week).
- FITNESS BANDS girls will take home and wear for 12 weeks with rewards for reaching step goals each week
- 12 – 1.5 hour fitness & empowerment class (w yoga/mindfulness each week)
- Modules include: Nutrition, Relationships, Physical, Mental
- Girls get to try a healthy snack each week (Hummus, Fruits, etc)
- Personal journal with topics covered in award-winning curriculum
- Access to NEW online FITGirls wellness activity app exclusive to EmpowerU members only
- Shirt & Backpack
- Free tickets to sporting events at Creighton, UNO and College of St Mary
- Female athletes/role models/speakers visits each week encouraging girls to participate in sports and/or maintain a healthy active lifestyle
- Reward incentives/Gift Cards (provided by local retailers) promoting daily physical fitness and healthy eating choices (girls can earn rewards each week during the program)
Teen Mentorship Program dates announced for 2020 coming soon!
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE TEEN MENTROSHIP PROGRAM! The objective of the Mentorship program is to provide adolescent girls between ages 12-16 years an opportunity to participate in a coordinated, ongoing series of high-quality activities and learning experiences that help them to achieve social, emotional, and physical well-being.
Girls are paired with a local, female role model and partake in community service projects, physical fitness classes and enrichment activities. They will attain the ability to analyze their own strengths and weaknesses, set personal and vocational goals, and have the self-confidence and self-esteem to create a positive change in their life and the lives of others.