FITGirl, Inc. 12 Week Program with GoGirlGo! Award Winning Curriculum
The goals of the curriculum are for girls to:
- Become more physically active, working their way up to getting 60 minutes of exercise a day…and staying active for life!
- Develop and maintain self-respect, self-confidence, and a positive self-image.
- Understand the connection between mind and body.
- Internalize the message that there is no one “ideal” body type.
- Begin to understand the consequences of and explore alternatives to health-risk behaviors.
- Gain developmentally appropriate knowledge of nutrition and the health benefits of physical activity.
- Increase their motivation to participate in sports and other kinds of physical activity.
- Be able to respond positively to peer pressure.
- Accept and respect others.
- Build positive relationships with adult facilitators and the peers in the group.
- Build leadership skills and serve as role models for other girls to get physically active.
- Learn how to set goals and work towards achieving them.
BONUS! As part of our FITMind(TM) initiative, girls registered for EmpowerU will get to participate in a 45 minute mindfulness class every Thursday at 6:30-7:15PM.
The curriculum consists of 12 lessons, each of which features a story by a local athlete or a peer role model and accompanying physical activities, discussion questions, facilitator tips, and healthy snack ideas.
The lessons focus on helping girls explore important issues in their lives, helping them to build a positive self-image and motivating them to develop an interest in participating in sports and other kinds of physical activity. The lessons also help girls discover how they interact with the world around them, and aims to empower them to affect change in their own lives and the lives of others in their communities.
Each lesson also contains a “Try @ Home” activity. This is an activity girls should do at home on their own between sessions, working eventually toward a goal of being active 60 minutes a day.
Youth Physical Activity Guidelines
Girls should have 60 minutes (1 hour) or more of physical activity daily.
Aerobic: Most of the 60 or more minutes a day should be either moderate- or vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity and should include vigorous-intensity physical activity at least 3 days a week.
Muscle-strengthening: As part of their 60 or more minutes of daily physical activity, children and adolescents should include muscle-strengthening physical activity on at least 3 days of the week.
Bone-strengthening: As part of their 60 or more minutes of daily physical activity, children and adolescents should include bone-strengthening physical activity on at least 3 days of the week.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
NOW OFFERING CLASSES FOR 14-16 YEARS THROUGH BEST YEAR YET!
The Best Year Yet program® comes to FitGirl. This is a proven program that has been used by individuals and teams globally to help them overcome the limiting beliefs and actions that get in the way of realizing their full potential. This powerful program starts with a fun and creative group workshop that inspires girls to explore what they really want and discover the attitude and behaviors needed to achieve goals and turn dreams into reality.
Each participant will be coached through the creation of their own Best Year Yet plan in this interactive session. The outcome is a plan that consists of:
- Clear vision of intentions, dreams, and aspirations
- Set of motivating values that drives achievement
- Guidelines to lead to more positive actions
- New empowering mindset to shift limiting thoughts and pave way to success
- Focus on key area where breakthrough results are needed
- Top 3-10 goals designed to achieve intentions
Each participant will be given access to 12-month subscription to BYY online application used to manage plan and track goals.
Register now if you want your daughter to:
- Discover the confidence and courage needed to be empowered
- Gain self-awareness and insights on what is meaningful
- Imagine, think big and explore all that is possible
- Crush negative beliefs that get in the way of accomplishing goals
- Strengthen positive mindset to move out of comfort zone
- Learn successful habits that foster achievement
- Be equipped with the skills to plan, set goals and be accountable for actions
- Acknowledge and apply learnings for future success
- Participate in healthy, constructive conversations with peers
- Get and give support and encouragement to others
- Celebrate the unique, resourceful and whole person that she is
Programs are held at our NEW Empowerment Center. Located off 156th & Maple (15505 Ruggles Street, Suite 108).
Ages 8-10 years (4-5PM) and ages 11-13 years (5:15-6:15PM) and 14-16 years (6:30-7:30PM). Included in fee, mindfulness class every Thursday, and girls will receive backpack, shirt, jump rope and journal. Snacks provided at some of the classes and recipes from Eat Fit Go provided weekly. Girls will also have an opportunity to win prizes from area retailers as an incentive to exercise daily and eat healthy.
REGISTER NOW FOR FALL/WINTER CLASSES $120 + SERVICE FEE
Thank you to the following sponsors for supporting the EmpowerU program!
Women’s Sports Foundation
Eat Fit Go
Boulder Creek Amusement Park
Creighton University Athletics
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Just Pop’d Popcorn
Oak View Mall
Natalie Jensen Photography
Social Media Omaha